WHAT IS ATOPIC ECZEMA?
And what causes flare-ups?
Atopic dermatitis, or atopic eczema, is an inflammatory skin condition that presents as dryness of the epidermis and a deficiency in the layer of lipids (oils) that protect skin’s surface which is also called the skin barrier. A weakened skin barrier allows for increased penetration of environmental triggers and allergens that can cause eczema flare-ups. Atopic dermatitis has a genetic component and runs in families and tends to occur in newborns and children under 5, although it can persist into adulthood.
ATOPIC DERMATITIS -
THE POLLUTION RISK FACTOR
How does atmospheric pollution trigger eczema flare-ups?
Atopic-prone skin has a constitutionally weakened barrier making it vulnerable to atopic eczema triggers, but it is made all the more sensitive by pollutants such as ozone or fine particles. The smallest fine particles, PM2.5s (basically microscopic soot) can even penetrate down to the deeper epidermal layers.
Pollution triggers atopic eczema flare-ups by considerably increasing the skin’s sensitivity and discomfort level. It becomes even dryer and outbreaks of itchiness are more frequent.
HOW TO AVOID
ATOPIC ECZEMA TRIGGERS
Every day, two simple steps can break the vicious circle of itching that is exacerbated by atmospheric pollution:
1. Break the itch-scratch cycle
Your skin is the first barrier against atmospheric pollution. Whilst scratching can temporarily relieve the itch, it increases the damage to skin’s protective barrier, so that it can no longer prevent allergens or pollutants from penetrating... and so begins a vicious circle.
2. Enhance your daily care routine during pollution peaks
High pollution levels can exacerbate very dry skin condition, so atopic prone skin types require special care. For more than 25 years, La Roche-Posay has been committed to improving the quality of life of people with atopic eczema-prone skin types. We have developed the LIPIKAR range specially formulated to strengthen the skin's cutaneous barrier to protect it against the triggers that can cause flare-ups.
• Cleanse your skin with a non-foaming soap-free cleanser, LIPIKAR Syndet, both morning and evening.
• Keep your LA ROCHE POSAY THERMAL SPRING WATER at hand to soothe and calm your skin. It is a life-saver during atopic-eczema flare-ups on the face or body!
• Apply LIPIKAR Baume AP+ 2 to 3 times a day to strengthen your skin’s protective layer of lipids and shield your skin from the attacks of atopic eczema triggers and dermatitis risk factors such as pollution.
• Be sure to carry the pocket-sized LIPIKAR Stick AP+ with you at all times for on-the-go soothing of itchy patches. It replaces the itch-scratch reflex and instantly relieves itching.
To ensure optimal tolerance of the active ingredients found in LIPIKAR Baume AP+, apply it to the skin when it is still damp.
i Source : Kim J, Kim EH, Oh I, Jung K, Han Y, Cheong HK, et al. Les symptômes de la dermatite atopique sont influencés par la pollution extérieure. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013;132:495–7.